It started off so well.
I had finally finished the spinning on the turquoise merino. All of the singles from the magenta and turquoise were wound up on the nostepinne and just waiting to be plied with the singles from the Turkish.
Here’s a closer look at the color.
It’s glowing, right?!
I couldn’t wait to get spinning! I even spun up a sample before I got started.
Now, this is the spinning equivalent of knitting a gauge swatch. Ugh. But, I just needed to see how it spun up. It actually came out a little finer than I was going for….more on that in another post. But, it was really pretty and I figured, all of the time it took to make these singles was about to pay off!
So, early this morning, I put all of it into a plastic baggie and threw it in my knitting bag. I decided to toss my spindle in there too just in case I got farther than I thought I would. I figured I could work on it today in between my jobs. What you see above is my progress up until when the bottom fell out…
With my right hand up towards the sky, I vow to never try to wind three un-tensioned center pull balls of singles ever again. The tangles were monstrous!! I had been moving merrily along through the winding process. I actually had gotten a good bit on the noste. And then, they came. First, with the magenta. Then, with the turquoise. Then they started playing back and forth. The centers were coming out with the strand at the center and getting all jumbled up, all willy nilly style. You may notice my policy on tangling. It has served me well for a year now. Well, I actually forsook it for a bit tonight. I was desperate! I have very noble plans for this yarn. But, eventually, I had to come to the realization that I needed to let this be over and perhaps, pick the rest of it up again some other time. So, we’ll see how much I actually got from this project after I spin up the three strand ball I have so far. It’s actually quite sizeable, so all was not lost.
Meh. You live and you learn…and then you make a Lazy Kate from a shoebox. 🙂